Tuesday 8 May 2012

London

The third day with my German friend & her school group, we went to London for a whistle-stop tour.

We started at Greenwich (which really doesn't look like I've spelled it right, although that might just be too much caffeine, still!) and visited the Meridian.  Last time I was there, many years ago, I think one could actually see the 'proper' line, with all the markings, without having to pay.  This time, we only saw the 'free bit' and therefore just a small portion of the line :(  However, I did get a nice photo of the 24-hour clock :)

24-hour clock and units of measurement
On our way to the Thames for a river-boat cruise, I snapped a pic of the Cutty Sark.  I hadn't seen her before, and she is magnificent!

The Cutty Sark
From Greenwich, we travelled to Westminster, passing all the lovely sights from a distinctly different angle.  I took oodles of photos, but I think this one of the Eye is my favourite.

The London Eye
Ducks in the fountain at Buckingham Palace

We walked to Buckingham Palace and through St James's Park - the squirrels were practically tame!

A very friendly squirrel

This squirrel took a peanut from my fingers - the closest I've been to a 'wild' squizzle!

"You lookin' at me?!"


One of the boys in the school party hurt his foot, so Karin & I took him to St Thomas's Hospital to get it checked out.  Luckily, nothing was broken, but it did mean that we had a couple of hours to spend before meeting the rest of the school group.  We went up to Covent Garden; this shop is new since I was there last & I just loved the sign!

"Agents of Cool"

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! I love your London Eye one too. The Buckingham Palace water looks as clean as a swimming pool!

    Icecreamists are the folk who were in the press recently for making breast milk icecream. Did you see their ace uniforms too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The water in the fountain was clear as a bell; it was lovely!

    I didn't see that about the Icecreamists & breast milk icecream! Sounds quite weird, but why not?! I loved their uniforms :D

    ReplyDelete